Total War: ATTILA

Total War: ATTILA

View Stats:
🐰 Jun 4, 2021 @ 9:56pm
Crash on startup
After months of not playing, I decided to play again today.

But it kept on crashing everytime during startup or if I am lucky, the game loads but back to crash again after clicking grand campaign (luckily gets to game maybe like 1 after 10 times crash)

I've tried reinstalling, deleted the game folder, deleted attila folder and mod data file in appdata, restarting steam and PC, unsubscribed all mods, run as administrator, set compatibility to win8/7/vista, disabled overlay, disabled cloud.
Nothing works..

I'm at my wits end

anyone got solution?
Last edited by 🐰; Jun 5, 2021 @ 12:32am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 192 comments
🐰 Jun 5, 2021 @ 12:44am 
Things I have tried:
Reinstalled Game
Deleted game folder (before reinstall)
deleted attila folder and moddata in appdata
restarted steam and PC
unsubscribed all mods
run the game as administrator and set compatibility to win8/7/vista
disabled both steam and GeForce Xperience overlay
disabled cloud
set beta on launcher
updated Graphic driver to the latest
NerdAlert Jun 5, 2021 @ 5:18pm 
I have the same problem. I reinstalled the game, then it worked. But when I closed the game and tried to reopen, it started crashing again. Now I can't get it to start at all.
Last edited by NerdAlert; Jun 5, 2021 @ 5:18pm
NerdAlert Jun 5, 2021 @ 5:58pm 
I found a solution. Go into your windows search bar and type %appdata%. Go to The Creative Assembly folder and delete your Attila folder. Then launch your game and it should work.
Muerte Jun 5, 2021 @ 11:06pm 
Originally posted by hbar:
I found a solution. Go into your windows search bar and type %appdata%. Go to The Creative Assembly folder and delete your Attila folder. Then launch your game and it should work.
It will still happen. I did the same and it seemed to work until it did not anymore. Support knows about it but don't expect them to lift a finger as usual.
.Blade. Jun 6, 2021 @ 3:13am 
Same thing for me, I'd say 1/6 times I can actually get to the main menu and start playing the game. But it's such a pain and a motivation destroyer when I close the game, come back after a small break and I get constant CTD's immediately 5-8 times in a row when trying to start.

I've tried everything at this point so it makes me think it has to either be some sort of software conflict with some other application on my PC or it's a hardware conflict.

My specs are

Ryzen 5800X OC'ed to 4.60ghz
32GB of Ram
RTX 2080TI
Windows 10 Home, version 20H2
Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB

I don't have issues with any other Total War game just Atilla right now.
NerdAlert Jun 6, 2021 @ 8:11am 
Originally posted by Commodore 64:
Originally posted by hbar:
It will still happen. I did the same and it seemed to work until it did not anymore. Support knows about it but don't expect them to lift a finger as usual.
you're right, tried to launch the game last night after changing some mods and it doesn't work again. At least it's a temp fix for now.
wm.j.olson Jun 6, 2021 @ 1:59pm 
Same problem. Tried all of the above and more. What does seem to work for a spell is to verify the cache. Even though it never indicates a file that needs to be reloaded, it seems to allow game play to go forward for a little while, rinse, repeat.
🐰 Jun 7, 2021 @ 10:15pm 
Hello guys,

It's been 3 days since I posted this.
I've tried every advice I could find and none of em work.

I could get to the main menu maybe once after 10 times of crash, but as soon as I click anything in it, back to crash again :WHII_Death:
Thane Jun 7, 2021 @ 10:44pm 
I've been able to get to the main menu every time I boot up the game, but yes, doing almost anything in the main menu itself causes constant crashing. I haven't changed my settings, and I haven't downloaded or removed any mods recently. This all started yesterday and it isn't stopping after verifying the files or clearing the download cache.

It only seems to happen on the main menu. Battles and the campaign map seem to run smoothly... in the chance I can get to them when it chooses not to crash for once.
Last edited by Thane; Jun 7, 2021 @ 10:59pm
Muerte Jun 7, 2021 @ 11:37pm 
I swear ever since they forced this marketing driven launcher on us it has been nothing but issues and more issues for us.

CA being CA
Thane Jun 8, 2021 @ 12:30am 
I saw a thread in the WH2 discussions about what is basically the same thing happening here. If it's across multiple games and caused by some recent update, CA will have to address the problem, at least.
I can add that I'm getting strange CTDs, usually right at the point of finishing loading into a campaign. It is recent and i suspect it started after launcher updates to advertise their WH and 3K DLCs.

I've also noticed strange launcher behaviour when I press play. Sometimes the launcher opens up behind the Steam client and I have to click it to bring it on top - that is when it usually crashes when loading. Other times it opens in front and is less likely to crash.
Scholae1 Jul 16, 2021 @ 6:39am 
I have the same problem. Any solution?
Alex250 Jul 18, 2021 @ 3:21pm 
I found a fix. Launcher The Game until charge to Main menú(normally at The 3 try work), initiate a campaign(doesnt Matter The faction). Then save yout campaign and go back to Main menú and change settimgs or do whatever you want.
When you Launch again The Game dont click Launch, click continúe campaign, then go back to menú and voula you can play The Game normally like before.
🐰 Jul 18, 2021 @ 3:35pm 
roughly 6 weeks since I started this thread, still no fix..
< >
Showing 1-15 of 192 comments
Per page: 1530 50